The New Zealand LPFM Radio Station Network
[ NZ Low Power FM Community Open Source Knowledge Base ]

Home Page | New Zealand Low Power FM Radio Station Database | Add Radio Station | Discussion Forum

  Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Hardware
 New Zealand Low Power FM Radio Broadcasting Forums : Hardware
Subject Topic: Trademe Transmitters Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
cyanidemonkey
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
mofo fm 107.4

Joined: 02 June 2004
Location: New Zealand
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 68
Posted: 24 November 2012 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote cyanidemonkey

Thank You for you input on this discussion.

metalradio wrote:
If you want to take up a musical instrument, you don't spend
thousands starting with a Les Paul and Marshall amp
stack, you usually begin with a crappy Chinese copy and a
teeny practise amp, and if you fall in love with the art
form, you may end up eventually buying the good stuff. I
don't know anyone who starts off with anything less than
the most affordable "this will do the job for now" piece
of kit other than rich, over-entitled silver spoon
t**sers who can't understand that sometimes when money is
tight you do things (particularly hobby based things)
however you can.


I see your point, but playing a guitar is not bound by goverment laws and is not going to interfare with someone else's hobby or ruin someone else's fun. The Transmitter specs are not there for the govt, they are there for the LPFMers to help them start up and share the LPFM freqs without wrecking each others broadcasts.  When I wanted to try a guitar I got a chinese stratocaster knock off and second hand distortion pedal, but I did not plug it into the stereo and play over music that someone else was listening to.

Someone who chooses to save up and buy a compliant transmitter does not make them a "over-entitled silver spoon t**ser", it means they choose to use a compliant unit so they know they do not interfare with other peoples LPFM stations.


metalradio wrote:
I'm sure my hundred dollar chinese FM
transmitter will be the same, and the fact that they are
frowned upon and considered irresponsible actually makes
them seem youthful and anti-establishment; something
which will appeal to people who pick up on the low power
FM hobby from watching pirate radio movies like "Pump Up
The Volume" and knowing the famous story of NZ's own
pirate radio station, Radio Hauraki.


It is not the establisment you will be effecting, it will be fellow LPFMers like yourself. If someone deisides to splatter and wreck your signal with a below spec unit, it won't matter right? Someone plugging their guitar into your amp and playing over you is ok too?

If someone wants to play airwave pirates and stuff everyone else, it's a bit weak to do it on LPFM freqs and ruin other hobbyist fun.


metalradio wrote:
It's also a bit holier than thou to have a "do the
research, learn about all of the equipment, do it right,
learn all the rules" attitude when the reality is that
people are doing this as a fun, extra curricular
activity, and if you put a how to/history/component
breakdown textbook about guitars (or insert some other
fun activity here) beside an actual guitar and ask a
guitar fan whether he'd like to read about the guitars or
give one a go, what do you think the answer will be?



LPFM is fun, there is no doubt and no one wants to read "establishment rules", but it is not hard, it's all easy to find, and helps new broadcasters know what is involed and helps them set up a station they can use and get better results from.

Picking up a guitar and having a go won't effect anyone else who has potentially put in considerable time and effort into the same hobby.

metalradio wrote:
I think that the chinese transmitters are helping hook
people into the low power FM hobby, and that can only be
a good thing, because let's get real, for way less than
$1200 you can build a world class internet station which
will attract hundreds and potentially thousands more
listeners, and not just in your community, but worldwide.
So chinese transmitters could stop lower power FM dying
out. At least for now.


LPFM is not dying out, far from it. The spectrum is overflowing with LPFM stations, it is hard to find a clear freq in some cities. This is why it is important for broadcasters to use compliant equipment. The internet radio option you mention is a very good idea, and a good alternitive to LPFM.

At the end of the day, if someone wants to buy a cheap TX, that's their choice, they will then proberlly need to buy a broadcast compressor/limiter aswell though, or spend even more on a better TX later. They will end up spending more in the long run.

Please realise the LPFM laws and transmitter specs are not there for the govt amusement or to hog tie LPFM start ups. If the RSM had their way, there would be no free community LPFM freqs, less hassles for them. The Govt & RSM laws are there for us so we can use the LPFM freqs responsibly and not unknowly (or knowingly) stomp all over a fellow hobbist (or worse, a freq used by emergancy services). The more complaints the RSM get from LPFM stations due to cowboys not caring about other stations the more they will lobby to the govt to remove the guardband LPFM usage.

People importing underspec Transmitters to sell locally ain't doing it to help the "little guy", the local community, or help LPFM grow, they are doing it for profit. It ain't anti-establishment, community based or cool, it's consumerism, the price tag is different, but the end result to them is the same, the end result to the LPFM community is not.





__________________
mofo fm 107.4 no longer broadcasting
http://www.mofo-fm.co.nz

A:B:J Radio Automation Software
http://abj.spacejunk.co.nz
Back to Top View cyanidemonkey's Profile Search for other posts by cyanidemonkey Visit cyanidemonkey's Homepage
 
metalradio
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 23 November 2012
Location: New Zealand
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Posted: 24 November 2012 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote metalradio

Hi cyanidemonkey. Thanks for your response. I found it
informative and appreciate that you approached the other
side of the debate in a respectful and logical manner.

I think you are overestimating the number of current and
active low power broadcasters in NZ. I believe that there
is sufficient airspace to go around in NZ except perhaps
in the CBD locations.

I live in Auckland and often go through my FM band when
I'm in the car at various locations. Everywhere I go, and
also where I live there is an abundance of dead air. I
think if you are 15km from CBD limits and your broadcast
doesn't stretch beyond a few KM, there really is no
problem. Most people monitor their broadcast so they will
be aware if their signal strays.

Won't a few conflicts occur regardless of the kit people
are using? Haven't people with all the expensive gear
been just as guilty of drowning out other users of the
free airwaves? And don't a lot of these "compliant"
people feel a certain sense of privilege and higher
authority and ownership of the air simply because they
think they are following certain rules and broadcast
experience and have paid more money, therefore they feel
they have more of a right to the airwaves? I think that
the airwaves are as free as the air itself, and I will
happily take my piece, if I am sure that the airspace I
am using is unoccupied.

Do you have any hard evidence of how many active low
power FM hobbyists there are in NZ? I see there are 300
odd members here since 2004, that's over eight years... a
very small fraction of them are currently active posters
on this forum. I only knew of one low power FM user
before joining this forum, and he is one of those current
active posters. So I suspect there are probably only
around a hundred people nationwide who are serious and
active. So I think there's plenty of airspace to go
around.

cyanidemonkey wrote:
If the RSM had their way, there
would be no free community LPFM freqs, less hassles for
them.

I think I'd like it that way. This would result in true
pirate underground broadcasting, for listeners in the
know of when and where to tune in, for a truly non-
commercial and underground listening experience. Would
bring an element of danger and excitement to the whole
experience of broadcasting. If it went that way I would
buy a car transmitter setup (also available from China
for cheap) and broadcast from my car in a different
location each time. A romantic notion!

cyanidemonkey wrote:
(or worse, a freq used by emergancy
services).

One of my mates is a fireman and says all NZ Emergency
services are digital now. True or false?

cyanidemonkey wrote:
People importing underspec
Transmitters to sell locally

That's the thread topic, but entirely different to what
I'm discussing. There are people who are clipping the
ticket, but I'm not fussed by them I'm talking about
bringing one in myself from one of the many Chinese
internet sources, as I would encourage others to do
because you can get a setup for way cheaper than off
TradeMe.
Back to Top View metalradio's Profile Search for other posts by metalradio Visit metalradio's Homepage
 
cyanidemonkey
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Avatar
mofo fm 107.4

Joined: 02 June 2004
Location: New Zealand
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 68
Posted: 25 November 2012 at 4:13pm | IP Logged Quote cyanidemonkey

metalradio wrote:
Won't a few conflicts occur regardless of the kit people
are using? Haven't people with all the expensive gear
been just as guilty of drowning out other users of the
free airwaves? And don't a lot of these "compliant"
people feel a certain sense of privilege and higher
authority and ownership of the air simply because they
think they are following certain rules and broadcast
experience and have paid more money, therefore they feel
they have more of a right to the airwaves? I think that
the airwaves are as free as the air itself, and I will
happily take my piece, if I am sure that the airspace I
am using is unoccupied.


You are quite right there, conflicts I had heard of were between LPFM stations that had good gear, but were too close, or had the TX output higher than they should have which caused issues with each other. Some got quite nasty. However I don't think it was a "we got the right gear so we own the freq" syndrome, I think it was more "we were on this freq first" syndrome.

I guess it happens because I don't think the LPFM guardband is really regulated by RSM unless there is a complaint or obvious high output they can track down.


__________________
mofo fm 107.4 no longer broadcasting
http://www.mofo-fm.co.nz

A:B:J Radio Automation Software
http://abj.spacejunk.co.nz
Back to Top View cyanidemonkey's Profile Search for other posts by cyanidemonkey Visit cyanidemonkey's Homepage
 
metalradio
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 23 November 2012
Location: New Zealand
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Posted: 26 November 2012 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote metalradio

It is a shame to hear that kind of thing happens. I would hate to crap
over someone else's signal, let alone have it escalate into a frequency
war. This kind of thing could probably occur quite easily in CBD
locations. Good thing for me is that I don't it could possibly be an issue
in my area.

Looking forward to buying myself a chinese transmitter as an entry
level toy to play around with. Definitely no plans on going long term with
it if the quality is as bad as some suggest, especially if I get any
frequency wandering whatsoever. So if I'm still going strong in a year
with the chinese crap I will revisit the gear situation.

Whoever set these forums up did a good service to the public. This is a
valuable resource for good information on a niche hobby.
Back to Top View metalradio's Profile Search for other posts by metalradio Visit metalradio's Homepage
 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by Web Wiz Forums version 7.8
Copyright ©2001-2004 Web Wiz Guide

This page was generated in 0.1250 seconds.

The New Zealand LPFM Radio Station Network is copyright ©2004 and hosted by spacejunk_ technologies.
Theme based on the Web Wiz Forums by Web Wiz Guide.
Contact the webmaster for any comments or inquiries.