The New Zealand LPFM Radio Station Network
[ NZ Low Power FM Community Open Source Knowledge Base ]

Home Page | New Zealand Low Power FM Radio Station Database | Add Radio Station | Discussion Forum

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
General LPFM Discussion
 New Zealand Low Power FM Radio Broadcasting Forums : General LPFM Discussion
Subject Topic: FREE LPFM Websites Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
GrantK

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 May 2013 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote GrantK

I have an idea......costs me little to do and can be free to you guys / gals / radio heads.

how about this....

I set up a server something like www.LPFM.co.nz

it will have a front page with links
each LPFM station here that is currently LIVE I will give FREELY a space on this server for your station's webpage

example: your-station-name.LPFM.co.nz

I'll use a generic template that all the stations'  websites can be built into.

I can send you the generic template to edit as you would want it to look and then you send it back and I will put on the server or....

you can send me your station's info, graphics, and contact info and I can build it for you - no cost.

however if you are skilled in html / php / other web scripting then you can simply post over your page to me and I'll upload it to the server.

why?
why not?

idea is simply:
as this forum is a centralized place for LPFM discussions (and a great one at that) why not have a central server system for all of our stations' websites

if you would like a website as described hit me back in REPLY and if / when there is enough interested stations I'll set it all up.

costs / fees:
to you nothing. As Free as turning on a radio and picking up a tune. 
on my side, almost nothing. I have global servers more than I need.

Future development:
this part you do not need to have but I will offer it anyway in case you do.

once its all the LPFM wesites are set up the next natural step is Simulcast players and Podcast servers.

I am presently working on these for my this year to be launched Manaia Taranaki station so am more than happy to offer the community this too as an ADDON (extra if you want it) to the stations with these websites (that means I wont offer the Simulcast Players and Podcast servers outside of this group).

But.....that WILL COST you a little money, probably in the vicinity of $5 per month if you want it.

The reason being is bandwidth costs. I can get faster and more precise bandwidth than NZ presently has because I am the global server network. It is cheaper than NZ net but in saying that Simulcast Players and Podcasts use allot of bandwidth...To which even I need to pay for regardless of how many servers I have.

example: in testing my own Simulcast Player running only radio level 44 kbits (CD quality) MP3's for 12 hours continuous play costs 1.2Gb in internet server bandwidth.

Whatever the cost that would be set for that (I am guessing around $5) I can assure you that I would not be profiting from it.

The idea there is if I set simulcast and podcast services up in bulk the overall cost per station would be minimal. So for all its a win win.

looking forward to your ideas comments

Regards
GrantK

Edited by GrantK on 29 May 2013 at 2:55pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version